VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage v6.x Review
VMware vSphere is a cloud computing virtualization platform for VMware. vSphere is a suite of tools for cloud computing that utilizes VMware ESX/ESXi 4. The vSphere Essentials Kit has many advantages, which is the reason why it has been employed by various organizations. With a low cost that can be compared with the cost of a few sticks of RAM plus a motherboard, it is a revolutionary solution that can change the way businesses operate. Its many advantages include high availability at all times, high priority for tasks and VM mobility with vMotion.
VMware vSphere Review
VMware vSphere has seen a number of changes in its sixth iteration. The major changes are regarding the following aspects of the platform:
- Linux-based vCenter Server Appliance Enhanced
- Improved vMotion capabilities
- Enhancements to the Web client
- Storage Offloading
The aforementioned changes have made it a worthy successor to version 5. It has become popular amongst virtual machine users all around the globe.
VMware vSphere Installation and Configuration
The amazing job prospects with VMware vSphere is the main reason why people join VMware vSphere training classes. Through these classes, you can learn installation and configuration of VMware vSphere.
VMware vSphere is a sophisticated platform that involves a number of steps for installation and configuration. Below are the steps that you need to perform for completing the task:
- Check if your system meets the minimum requirements for installing VMware vSphere.
- Start the installer from the installer directory.
- Select VMware vSphere Web Client (Server) and then click on Install.
- Follow the instructions from installer and complete the installation.
- When the vSphere Web Client installation is finished, a browser opens.
- It is possible to register more than one vCenter Servers on client administration application page in the browser.
- Install ESXi.
- Configure various ESXi boot and network settings. You would also need to configure the direct console, and a few more relevant settings.
- Set up a syslog server for remote logging. Performing this task ensures that sufficient disk storage is maintained in the log files. This step is crucial for hosts that have limited local storage available to them.
- Install vCenter Server on a Windows virtual machine or physical server or even by deploying the vCenter Server Appliance.
*In vSphere 6.0, it is possible to install vCenter Server or deploy the vCenter Server Appliance, and then later connect them in Enhanced Linked Mode configuration. The linking can be done by registering the vCenter Server instance and the vCenter Server Appliance to Platform Services Controllers that replicate their infrastructure data.*
- Connect to vCenter Server from the vSphere Web Client
- Configure vCenter Server and the vCenter Server Appliance
VMware vSphere Management Advantage
In terms of management, VMware vSphere is much better than its predecessors. Some of its benefits with respect to management are listed below:
Less Complex deployment model
All services are installed as one “Platform Services Controller.” It is possible to install PSC on the same server as the vCenter Server instance and it can also be installed on a separate box.
Scalability makes Management Better
PSCs can replicate natively between each other and make the management tasks easier.
VCSA and traditional Windows-based deployments share the same set of features, and can operate with each other in Linked-Mode, which simplifies the management tasks.
Faster logins with the sixth iteration VMware vSphere provides a significant advantage to the users.
Multi-site content library built into the system allows for better resource sharing and management.
VMware vSphere Training Online
VMware vSphere can be quite challenging for beginners looking to make a career in cloud computing. Due to the high competition, a newbie may find it difficult to break into the already crowded IT world. It is possible to learn VMware vSphere through an online course. However, most courses online is designed for system administrators systems engineers, but with QuickStart you can learn fast and stay ahead of the competition at all times. The VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage v6.x course offered by QuickStart covers topics like software-defined data center, configuring, and managing virtual networks, and much more.