Cyber Security Risk Assessment & Management for the U.S. Government
Virtual ClassroomLearning Style
4 DaysCourse Duration
About Individual Course:
Protect your organization from unacceptable losses by establishing and maintaining an effective security posture. In this training course, you learn how to employ the standards-based risk management processes defined by The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), and ensure your organization meets the cyber security laws and regulations imposed on all U.S. Government agencies.
- Implement the NIST Risk Management Framework for assessing and managing the risks to your organization's information infrastructure
- Select and implement security controls that satisfy FISMA, OMB, and Department/Agency requirements
- Maintain an acceptable security posture over the system life cycle
- Apply FedRAMP-compliant cloud-based solutions
- Attendees receive a complete set of course notes and a workbook containing all of the course workshops
- Every source document used in developing the course may be downloaded from the NIST Website free of charge
Virtual Instructed-Led Outline
Introduction to Risk Assessment and Management
- Ensuring compliance with applicable laws, regulations, policies and directives
- Protecting the organization from unacceptable losses
- Describing the NIST Risk Management Framework (RMF)
- Applying NIST risk management processes
Characterizing System Security Requirements
Defining the system
- Prescribing the system security boundary
- Pinpointing system interconnections
- Incorporating characteristics of Industrial Control Systems (ICS) and FedRAMP-compliant cloud-based systems
Identifying security risk components
- Estimating the impact of compromises to confidentiality, integrity and availability
- Adopting the appropriate model for categorizing system risk
- Specialized considerations for U.S. Government classified information
Setting the stage for successful risk management
- Documenting critical risk assessment and management decisions in the System Security Plan (SSP)
- Appointing qualified individuals to risk governance roles
Selecting Appropriate Security Controls
Assigning a security control baseline
- Investigating security control families
- Determining the baseline from system security impact
- Specialized considerations for National Security Systems (NSS)
Tailoring the baseline to fit the system
- Examining the structure of security controls, enhancements and parameters
- Binding control overlays to the selected baseline
- Gauging the need for enhanced assurance
- Distinguishing system-specific, compensating and non-applicable controls
Reducing Risk through Effective Control Implementation
Specifying the implementation approach
- Maximizing security effectiveness by "building in" security
- Reducing residual risk in legacy systems via "bolt-on" security elements
Applying NIST controls
- Enhancing system robustness through selection of evaluated and validated components
- Coordinating implementation approaches to administrative, operational and technical controls
- Providing evidence of compliance through supporting artifacts
- Implementing CNSSI-1253 for national security systems
Assessing Compliance Scope and Depth
Developing an assessment plan
- Prioritizing depth of control assessment
- Optimizing validation through sequencing and consolidation
- Verifying compliance through tests, interviews and examinations
Formulating an authorization recommendation
- Evaluating overall system security risk
- Mitigating residual risks
- Publishing the Plan of Action and Milestones (POA&M), the risk assessment and recommendation
Authorizing System Operation
Aligning authority and responsibility
- Quantifying organizational risk tolerance
- Elevating authorization decisions in high-risk scenarios
Forming a risk-based decision
- Appraising system operational impact
- Weighing residual risk against operational utility
- Issuing Authority to Operate (ATO)
Maintaining Continued Compliance
- Justifying continuous reauthorization
- Preserving an acceptable security posture
|Learning Style||Virtual Classroom|
|Course Duration||4 Days|
Frequently Asked Questions About Virtual Instructor-Led Courses
I can't connect to my class, what are my options?
The link to the class is available upon logging in to your dashboard. If you are unable to see it, please contact our support team at 1-855-800-8240 and they will be happy to provide you the direct link via email or the dial in number.
I can't make it to attend to class. Can I reschedule?
Yes, you can reschedule your class. Please contact your Sales representative and they will arrange this for you. If you forgot his/her name, feel free to contact our support team at email@example.com or 1-855-800-8240.
Will I get my certificate upon completion?
Yes. Upon completion of the course, it will be available on your course as a Trophy Icon for you to download. If you do not see this, you will need to contact firstname.lastname@example.org with the following details so they can email you the certificate: Class Name, Class Date, Account Rep, and Your Email.
I cannot connect to my lab. Help!
Your Lab is accessible on the bottom part of your course. You will see a button that says "LAB". Just click it to launch the lab. Please note that some classes don’t need/require a LAB. You can verify with our support team by calling them at 1-855-800-8240 or by email at email@example.com. You can also check with your Instructor or the Associate Instructor if your class includes one.
What is my access code for Skillpipe?
A. Not all of the classes have or require Skillpipe. If your class includes one, please check your email as you should have received one from firstname.lastname@example.org. In case you do not find it in your inbox, please check the Spam / Junk folder. For any further assistance, you can call the support at 1-855-800-8240 or contact them via email at email@example.com.
I don't have audio. I can't hear the instructor.
Make sure you are using a compatible headset for your laptop or computer. If you don’t have a headset, you can use the built-in speaker of your laptop. Otherwise, you can use the dial in option by calling the dial in number provided in the class joining email. You may also contact support team for the dial in numbers associated for your training at 1-855-800-8240 or contact them via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How can I reach student support?
Support can be reach via phone at 1855-800-8240; via email at email@example.com or via chat support through the chat button on our website. Please note that support office hours will be from 8am-5pm CST Monday to Friday. Any concerns after office hours will be attended the following business day.
Have Questions? Ask Us.
Turn Training Into A Personalized Learning Experience
- Problem Solving through ExpertConnect & Peer-To-Peer Learning
- Find The Quickest Path To Learn With Career Paths
- Access All Courses With Master Subscription
- Manage Your Team With Learning Analytics
- Virtual Classroom Training & Self-Paced Learning
- Integrate With Your LMS Through API's