Developing Rule Solutions in IBM Operational Decision Manager V8.5 (WB383)
Virtual ClassroomLearning Style
5 DaysCourse Duration
About Individual Course:
About this course
Beginning with an overview of the software, the program divides Operational Decision Manager into two central environments: IBM Decision Center for business users and the IBM Decision Server for technical users. The program describes how business teams collaborate with development for effective project development. Users learn about the Decision Server’s core features – developers’ main working environment – through practical lab exercises and presentations led by instructors.
Trainees will design a business rule application in this course, and work using the object models needed to both author and execute rule artifacts. They gradually become experienced at rule deployment and execution within different kinds of client applications. Furthermore, through extensive work with Rule Execution Server, they learn to incorporate decision services within the enterprise environment. They are also familiarized with rule authoring, meaning the can help business users arrange and modify the validation and rule authoring environments. Finally, users will gain knowledge on recognizing governance issues, and supporting decision governance with Operational Decision Manager features.
This course uses Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard Edition as its lab environment.
Upon course completion, users should be able to perform the following functions:
Describe the advantages of using Operational Decision Manager to implement a decision management solution
Recognize the crucial user roles involved in the design and development of a decision management solution, and identify the tasks related to each role
Describe how a business rule application is built, as well as how development teams collaborate with business
Set up and modify the vocabulary and business object model (BOM) for rule authoring
Incorporate the execution object model (XOM) that permits rule execution
Use ruleflows to coordinate rule execution
Implement business policies by authoring the rule artifacts
Minimize errors in the implemented business logic by debugging business rule applications
Set up and modify the simulation and testing environment for business users
Integrate decision services for managed execution within an enterprise environment
Package and deploy rulesets to production and test environments
Build business rule client applications that are efficient and easily maintained
Test, observe, and audit decision services execution
Describe governance issues, and recognize Operational Decision Manager features that assist decision governance
This intermediate IT Ops training course has been designed for application developers.
Java programming language and object-oriented concepts experience
Java Platform, Standard Edition experience
Java Platform, Enterprise Edition knowledge
Basic experience with Extensible Markup Language
Virtual Instructed-Led Outline
Course outlines the collaboration between development and business teams during project development.Through instructor-led presentations and hands-on lab exercises, you learn about the core features of Decision Server, which is the primary working environment for developers. You design a business rule application, and work with the object models that are required to author and execute rule artifacts. You gain experience with rule deployment and execution within various types of client applications. You work extensively with Rule Execution Server and learn how you can integrate decision services within an enterprise environment.In addition, you become familiar with rule authoring so that you can support business users to set up and customize the rule authoring and validation environments. You also learn how to identify governance issues and use Operational Decision Manager features to support decision governance.The lab environment for this course uses Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard Edition.
- Describe the benefits of implementing a decision management solution with Operational Decision Manager
- Identify the key user roles that are involved in designing and developing a decision management solution, and the tasks that are associated with each role
- Describe the development process of building a business rule application and the collaboration between business and development teams
- Set up and customize the business object model (BOM) and vocabulary for rule authoring
- Implement the execution object model (XOM) that enables rule execution
- Orchestrate rule execution through ruleflows
- Author the rule artifacts to implement business policies
- Debug business rule applications to ensure that the implemented business logic is error-free
- Set up and customize the testing and simulation environment for business users
- Package and deploy rulesets to test and production environments
- Integrate decision services for managed execution within an enterprise environment
- Build efficient and easy-to-maintain business rule client applications
- Test, monitor, and audit execution of decision services
- Explain governance issues and identify Operational Decision Manager features that support decision governance
- Experience with the Java programming language and object-oriented concepts
- Experience with Java Platform, Standard Edition (Java SE)
- Knowledge of Java Platform, Enterprise Edition (Java EE)
- Basic knowledge of Extensible Markup Language (XML)
- Course introduction
- Introducing IBM Operational Decision Manager V8.5
- Operational Decision Manager: Business rules
- Exercise: Operational Decision Manager in action
- Programming with business rules
- Exercise: Setting up rule projects
- Developing object models
- Exercise: Working with the BOM
- Exercise: Refactoring
- Orchestrating ruleset execution
- Exercise: Working with ruleflows
- Authoring rules
- Exercise: Exploring action rules
- Exercise: Authoring action rules
- Exercise: Authoring decision tables and decision trees
- Customizing rule vocabulary with categories and domains
- Exercise: Working with static domains
- Exercise: Working with dynamic domains
- Queries and ruleset extraction
- Exercise: Queries and ruleset extraction
- Debugging rules
- Exercise: Executing rules locally
- Exercise: Debugging a ruleset
- Enabling tests and simulations
- Exercise: Enabling tests and simulations
- Managing deployment
- Exercise: Managing deployment
- Executing rules with Rule Execution Server
- Exercise: Exploring the Rule Execution Server console
- Exercise: Executing rules with Rule Execution Server in Java SE
- Exercise: Executing rules with Rule Execution Server in Java EE
- Exercise: Executing rules as a hosted transparent decision service (HTDS)
- Auditing and monitoring ruleset execution
- Exercise: Auditing ruleset execution through Decision Warehouse
- Exercise: Testing ruleset execution in Rule Execution Server console
- Working with the REST API
- Exercise: Working with the REST API
- Introducing decision governance
- Course summary
|Learning Style||Virtual Classroom|
|Course Duration||5 Days|
Frequently Asked Questions About Virtual Instructor-Led Courses
I can't connect to my class, what are my options?
The link to the class is available upon logging in to your dashboard. If you are unable to see it, please contact our support team at 1-855-800-8240 and they will be happy to provide you the direct link via email or the dial in number.
I can't make it to attend to class. Can I reschedule?
Yes, you can reschedule your class. Please contact your Sales representative and they will arrange this for you. If you forgot his/her name, feel free to contact our support team at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-855-800-8240.
Will I get my certificate upon completion?
Yes. Upon completion of the course, it will be available on your course as a Trophy Icon for you to download. If you do not see this, you will need to contact email@example.com with the following details so they can email you the certificate: Class Name, Class Date, Account Rep, and Your Email.
I cannot connect to my lab. Help!
Your Lab is accessible on the bottom part of your course. You will see a button that says "LAB". Just click it to launch the lab. Please note that some classes don’t need/require a LAB. You can verify with our support team by calling them at 1-855-800-8240 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also check with your Instructor or the Associate Instructor if your class includes one.
What is my access code for Skillpipe?
A. Not all of the classes have or require Skillpipe. If your class includes one, please check your email as you should have received one from email@example.com. In case you do not find it in your inbox, please check the Spam / Junk folder. For any further assistance, you can call the support at 1-855-800-8240 or contact them via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I don't have audio. I can't hear the instructor.
Make sure you are using a compatible headset for your laptop or computer. If you don’t have a headset, you can use the built-in speaker of your laptop. Otherwise, you can use the dial in option by calling the dial in number provided in the class joining email. You may also contact support team for the dial in numbers associated for your training at 1-855-800-8240 or contact them via email at email@example.com.
How can I reach student support?
Support can be reach via phone at 1855-800-8240; via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or via chat support through the chat button on our website. Please note that support office hours will be from 8am-5pm CST Monday to Friday. Any concerns after office hours will be attended the following business day.
Have Questions? Ask Us.
Turn Training Into A Personalized Learning Experience
- Problem Solving through ExpertConnect & Peer-To-Peer Learning
- Find The Quickest Path To Learn With Career Paths
- Access All Courses With Master Subscription
- Manage Your Team With Learning Analytics
- Virtual Classroom Training & Self-Paced Learning
- Integrate With Your LMS Through API's