IBM Cognos Framework Manager: Design Metadata Models (V10.2) (B5252)
Virtual ClassroomLearning Style
5 DaysCourse Duration
About Individual Course:
Participants of this course will learn the full scope of the metadata modeling process, from initial project creation, to publishing of metadata to the Web, enabling end users to easily author reports and analyze data.
This course is intended for Developers.
This advanced offering is intended for developers who design metadata models for use in IBM Cognos.
Virtual Instructed-Led Outline
- Overview of IBM Cognos BI
- Discuss IBM Cognos and Performance Management
- Describe IBM Cognos components
- Describe IBM Cognos architecture at a high level
- Define IBM Cognos groups and roles
- Explain how to extend IBM Cognos
- Identify Common Data Structures
- Examine the characteristics of operational databases and databases designed for reporting
- Examine relationships and cardinality
- Identify different data traps
- Examine dimensional data sources
- Gather Requirements
- Examine key modeling recommendations
- Define reporting requirements
- Explore data sources to identify data access strategies
- Create a Baseline Project
- Examine the IBM Cognos BI and Framework Manager workflow processes
- Define a project and its structure
- Describe the Framework Manager environment
- Create a baseline project
- Enhance the model with additional metadata
- Prepare Reusable Metadata
- Identify facts and dimensions
- Examine relationships, and data traps
- Verify relationships and query item properties
- Ensure efficient filters by configuring prompt properties
- Model for Predictable Results: Identify Reporting Issues
- Describe multi-fact queries and when full outer joins are appropriate
- Describe how IBM Cognos BI uses cardinality
- Identify reporting traps
- Use tools to analyze the model
- Model for Predictable Results: Virtual Star Schemas
- Identify the advantages of modeling metadata as a star schema
- Model in layers
- Create aliases to avoid ambiguous joins
- Merge query subjects to create as view behavior
- Model for Predictable Results: Consolidate Metadata
- Create virtual facts to simplify writing queries
- Create virtual dimensions to resolve fact-to-fact joins
- Create a consolidated modeling layer for presentation purposes
- Consolidate snowflake dimensions with model query subjects
- Simplify facts by hiding unnecessary codes
- Calculations and Filters
- Use calculations to create commonly-needed query items for authors
- Use static filters to reduce the data returned
- Use macros and parameters in calculations and filters to dynamically control the data returned
- Implement a Time Dimension
- Make time-based queries simple to author by implementing a time dimension
- Resolve confusion caused by multiple relationships between a time dimension and another table
- Specify Determinants
- Use determinants to specify multiple levels of granularity and prevent double-counting
- Create the Presentation View
- Identify the dimensions associated with a fact table
- Identify conformed vs. non-conformed dimensions
- Create star schema groupings to provide authors with logical groupings of query subjects
- Rapidly create a model using the Model Design Accelerator
- Work with Different Query Subject Types
- Identify key differences and recommendations for using data source, model, and stored procedure query subjects
- Identify the effects on generated SQL when modifying query subjects, SQL settings and relationships
- Set Security in Framework Manager
- Examine the IBM Cognos BI security environment
- Restrict access to packages
- Create and apply security filters
- Restrict access to objects in the model
- Create Analysis Objects
- Apply dimensional information to relational Metadata to enable OLAP-style queries
- Define members and member unique names
- Identify changes that impact a MUN
- Sort members for presentation and predictability
- Manage OLAP Data Sources
- Connect to an OLAP data source (cube) in a Framework Manager project
- Publish an OLAP model
- Publish a model with multiple OLAP data sources
- Publish a model with an OLAP data source and a relational data source
- Advanced Generated SQL Concepts and Complex Queries
- Governors that affect SQL generation
- Stitch query SQL
- Conformed and non-conformed dimensions in generated SQL
- Multi-fact/multi-grain stitch query SQL
- Variances in Report Studio generated SQL
- Dimensionally modeled relational SQL generation
- Cross join SQL
- Various results sets for multi-fact queries
- Use Advanced Parameterization Techniques in Framework Manger
- Identify environment and model session parameters
- Leverage session, model, and custom parameters
- Create prompt macros
- Leverage macro functions associated with security
- Model Maintenance and Extensibility
- Perform basic maintenance and management on a model
- Remap metadata to another source
- Import and link a second data source
- Run scripts to automate or update a model
- Create a model report
- Optimize and Tune Framework Manager Models
- Identify and implement techniques to optimize and tune your Framework Manager models
- Use Dynamic Query Mode in Framework Manager
- Work in a Multi-Modeler Environment
- Segment and link a project
- Branch a project and merge results
- Manage Framework Manager Packages
- Specify package languages and function sets
- Control model versioning
- Nest packages
- Appendix A: Employ Additional Modeling Techniques
- Leverage a user defined function
- Set the order of operations in a model calculation
- Externalize query subjects
- Prepare IBM Cognos 10 content for use as a data source in Transformer
- Create query sets
- Use external source control through Windows Explorer
- Appendix B: Model Multilingual Metadata
- Customize metadata for a multilingual audience
- Appendix C: Additional Resources
- Links to sites where the customer can find more information about course-related material.
|Learning Style||Virtual Classroom|
|Course Duration||5 Days|
Frequently Asked Questions About Virtual Instructor-Led Courses
I can't connect to my class, what are my options?
The link to the class is available upon logging in to your dashboard. If you are unable to see it, please contact our support team at 1-855-800-8240 and they will be happy to provide you the direct link via email or the dial in number.
I can't make it to attend to class. Can I reschedule?
Yes, you can reschedule your class. Please contact your Sales representative and they will arrange this for you. If you forgot his/her name, feel free to contact our support team at email@example.com or 1-855-800-8240.
Will I get my certificate upon completion?
Yes. Upon completion of the course, it will be available on your course as a Trophy Icon for you to download. If you do not see this, you will need to contact firstname.lastname@example.org with the following details so they can email you the certificate: Class Name, Class Date, Account Rep, and Your Email.
I cannot connect to my lab. Help!
Your Lab is accessible on the bottom part of your course. You will see a button that says "LAB". Just click it to launch the lab. Please note that some classes don’t need/require a LAB. You can verify with our support team by calling them at 1-855-800-8240 or by email at email@example.com. You can also check with your Instructor or the Associate Instructor if your class includes one.
What is my access code for Skillpipe?
A. Not all of the classes have or require Skillpipe. If your class includes one, please check your email as you should have received one from firstname.lastname@example.org. In case you do not find it in your inbox, please check the Spam / Junk folder. For any further assistance, you can call the support at 1-855-800-8240 or contact them via email at email@example.com.
I don't have audio. I can't hear the instructor.
Make sure you are using a compatible headset for your laptop or computer. If you don’t have a headset, you can use the built-in speaker of your laptop. Otherwise, you can use the dial in option by calling the dial in number provided in the class joining email. You may also contact support team for the dial in numbers associated for your training at 1-855-800-8240 or contact them via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How can I reach student support?
Support can be reach via phone at 1855-800-8240; via email at email@example.com or via chat support through the chat button on our website. Please note that support office hours will be from 8am-5pm CST Monday to Friday. Any concerns after office hours will be attended the following business day.
Have Questions? Ask Us.
Turn Training Into A Personalized Learning Experience
- Problem Solving through ExpertConnect & Peer-To-Peer Learning
- Find The Quickest Path To Learn With Career Paths
- Access All Courses With Master Subscription
- Manage Your Team With Learning Analytics
- Virtual Classroom Training & Self-Paced Learning
- Integrate With Your LMS Through API's