Virtual ClassroomLearning Style
2 DaysCourse Duration
About Individual Course:
About this course:
This two-day course is designed to provide students with intermediate switching knowledge and configuration examples. The course includes an overview of switching concepts such as LANs, Layer 2 address learning, bridging, virtual LANs (VLANs), provider bridging, VLAN translation, spanning-tree protocols, and Ethernet Operation, Administration, and Maintenance (OAM). This course also covers Junos operating system-specific implementations of integrated routing and bridging (IRB) interfaces, routing instances, virtual switches, load balancing, and port mirroring. Furthermore, this course covers the basics of Multiple VLAN Registration Protocol (MVRP), link aggregation groups (LAGs), and multichassis LAG (MC-LAG). This course uses MX Series 3D Ethernet Universal Edge Routers for the hands-on component. This course is based on the Junos OS Release 14.2R3.8.
Through demonstrations and hands-on labs, students will gain experience in configuring and monitoring the Junos OS and device operations. This course also prepares the students for the Juniper Networks Certified Specialist (JNCIS-SP) certification exam.
The average salary for Network Engineer at Juniper Networks is $125,191 per year.
After completing this course, students will be able to:
- Describe carrier Ethernet.
- Describe the different Ethernet standards organizations.
- Describe the Layer 2 services that are available on the MX Series 3D Universal Edge Routers.
- Describe the function of an Ethernet LAN.
- Describe learning and forwarding in a bridging environment.
- Describe Ethernet frame filtering.
- Implement VLAN tagging.
- Describe and implement MVRP.
- Implement IRB.
- Implement a Layer 2 firewall filter.
- Describe the usage of a routing instance.
- Describe the function of a virtual router.
- Describe the function of a virtual switch.
- Describe the usage of logical systems.
- Implement a virtual switch.
- Describe interconnecting routing instances.
- Describe the different Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) VLAN stacking models.
- Describe the components of provider bridging.
- Configure and monitor provider bridging.
- Explain the purpose of the Spanning Tree Protocol (STP).Describe the basic operation of the STP, the Rapid Spanning Tree Protocol (RSTP), the Multiple Spanning Tree Protocol (MSTP), and the VLAN Spanning Tree Protocol (VSTP).
- Configure and monitor the STP, the RSTP, the MSTP, and the VSTP.
- Explain the purpose of bridge protocol data unit (BPDU), loop, and root protection.
- Explain typical OAM features.
- Describe the basic operation of link fault management (LFM).
- Describe the basic operation of connectivity fault management (CFM).
- Configure and monitor Ethernet OAM.
- Describe the basic operation of Ethernet Ring Protection (ERP).
- Configure and monitor ERP.
- Describe the basic operation of LAGs and MC-LAGs.
- Configure and monitor a LAG.
- Describe a basic troubleshooting method.
- List common issues that disrupt network operations.
- Identify tools used in network troubleshooting.
- Use available tools to resolve network issues.
This course benefits individuals responsible for configuring and monitoring devices running the Junos OS.
Students should have basic networking knowledge and an understanding of the Open Systems Interconnection (OSI) reference model and the TCP/IP protocol suite. Students should also attend the Introduction to the Junos Operating System (IJOS) and Junos Routing Essentials (JRE) courses prior to attending this class.
Suggested prerequisites courses:
Virtual Instructed-Led Outline
Chapter 1: Course Introduction
Chapter 2: Ethernet Switching and Virtual LANs
- Ethernet LANs
- Configuring and Monitoring VLANs
- Automating VLAN Administration
- Configuring and Monitoring IRB
- Layer 2 Address Learning and Forwarding
- Layer 2 Firewall Filtering
- Ethernet Switching and VLANs Lab
Chapter 3: Virtual Switches
- Routing Instances Overview
- Configuring and Monitoring Virtual Switches
- Interconnecting Routing Instances
- Logical Systems
- Virtual Switches Lab
Chapter 4: Provider Bridging
- Expanding the Bridged Network
- Provider Bridging
- Configuring and Monitoring Provider Bridging
- Provider Bridging Lab
Chapter 5: Spanning-Tree Protocols
- Overview of STP
- Overview of RSTP
- Overview of MSTP
- Overview of VSTP
- Configuring and Monitoring Spanning-Tree Protocols
- Understanding BPDU, Loop, and Root Protection
- MSTP Lab
Chapter 6: Ethernet OAM
- OAM Overview
- Configuring and Monitoring Ethernet OAM
- Ethernet OAM Lab
Chapter 7: High Availability and Network Optimization
- ERP Overview
- Configuring and Monitoring ERP
- Link Aggregation Group Overview
- Configuring and Monitoring a LAG
- MC-LAG Overview
- Configuring and Monitoring an MC-LAG
- High Availability and Network Optimization Lab
Chapter 8: Troubleshooting and Monitoring
- Introduction to Troubleshooting and Monitoring
- Troubleshooting and Monitoring Tools
- Troubleshooting Case Study: Network Congestion
- Troubleshooting and Monitoring Lab
Appendix A: Carrier Ethernet
- Ethernet in the WAN
- Ethernet Standards Organizations
- MX Series Layer 2 Features
Appendix B: Deprecated Syntaxes
Appendix C: MX Series Overview
|Learning Style||Virtual Classroom|
|Course Duration||2 Days|
|VPA Eligible||VPA Eligible|
Frequently Asked Questions About Virtual Instructor-Led Courses
I can't connect to my class, what are my options?
The link to the class is available upon logging in to your dashboard. If you are unable to see it, please contact our support team at 1-855-800-8240 and they will be happy to provide you the direct link via email or the dial in number.
I can't make it to attend to class. Can I reschedule?
Yes, you can reschedule your class. Please contact your Sales representative and they will arrange this for you. If you forgot his/her name, feel free to contact our support team at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-855-800-8240.
Will I get my certificate upon completion?
Yes. Upon completion of the course, it will be available on your course as a Trophy Icon for you to download. If you do not see this, you will need to contact email@example.com with the following details so they can email you the certificate: Class Name, Class Date, Account Rep, and Your Email.
I cannot connect to my lab. Help!
Your Lab is accessible on the bottom part of your course. You will see a button that says "LAB". Just click it to launch the lab. Please note that some classes don’t need/require a LAB. You can verify with our support team by calling them at 1-855-800-8240 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also check with your Instructor or the Associate Instructor if your class includes one.
What is my access code for Skillpipe?
A. Not all of the classes have or require Skillpipe. If your class includes one, please check your email as you should have received one from email@example.com. In case you do not find it in your inbox, please check the Spam / Junk folder. For any further assistance, you can call the support at 1-855-800-8240 or contact them via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I don't have audio. I can't hear the instructor.
Make sure you are using a compatible headset for your laptop or computer. If you don’t have a headset, you can use the built-in speaker of your laptop. Otherwise, you can use the dial in option by calling the dial in number provided in the class joining email. You may also contact support team for the dial in numbers associated for your training at 1-855-800-8240 or contact them via email at email@example.com.
How can I reach student support?
Support can be reach via phone at 1855-800-8240; via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or via chat support through the chat button on our website. Please note that support office hours will be from 8am-5pm CST Monday to Friday. Any concerns after office hours will be attended the following business day.
Have Questions? Ask Us.
Turn Training Into A Personalized Learning Experience
- Problem Solving through ExpertConnect & Peer-To-Peer Learning
- Find The Quickest Path To Learn With Career Paths
- Access All Courses With Master Subscription
- Manage Your Team With Learning Analytics
- Virtual Classroom Training & Self-Paced Learning
- Integrate With Your LMS Through API's