Mon-Fri 9am to 6pm CST
From 0 to 1: Learn Java Programming - Live Free, Learn To Code
Need Training for 5 or More People?
Customized to your team's need:
- Annual Subscriptions
- Private Training
- Flexible Pricing
- Enterprise LMS
- Dedicated Customer Success Manager
About this course:
This course will use Java and an Integrated Development Environment (IDE). Never fear, we have a detailed video on how to get this downloaded and set up.Hundreds of lines of source code, and hundreds of lines of comments - just download and open in your IDE! This is a Java course for everyone. Whether you are a complete beginner (a liberal arts major, an accountant, doctor, lawyer) or an engineer with some programming experience but looking to learn Java - this course is right for you.The course is accessible because it assumes absolutely no programming knowledge, and quickly builds up using first principles aloneEven so, this is a serious Java programming class - the gradient is quite steep, and you will go from absolute beginner to an early intermediate level. The course is also quirky. The examples are irreverent. Lots of little touches: repetition, zooming out so we remember the big picture, active learning with plenty of quizzes. There’s also a peppy soundtrack, and art - all shown by studies to improve cognition and recall.
The average salary for a Java developer is $69,722 per year.
After completing this course, students will be able to:
- Write Java programs of moderate complexity and sophistication (at an early to middling intermediate level).
- Manage concurrency and threading issues in a multi-threaded environment.
- Use Reflection, Annotations, Lambda functions and other modern Java language features.
- Understand the Model-View-Controller paradigm, the Observer and Command Design patterns that are at the heart of modern UI programming.
- Understand the nuances of Java specific constructs in serialisation, exception-handling, cloning, the immutability of strings, primitive and object reference types.
- Understand Object-Oriented programming concepts at the level where you can have intelligent design conversations with an experienced software engineer.
- Create and modify files (including Excel spreadsheets) and download content from the internet using Java.
- Build serious UI applications in Swing.
- Gain a superficial understanding of JavaFX and Properties and Bindings.
Folks with zero programming experience - liberal arts majors, doctors, accountants, lawyers. Engineering students from non-CS majors looking to learn fairly serious programming. Computer Science students or software engineers with no experience in Java, but experience in Python, C++ or even C#. You might need to skip over some bits, but in general the class will still have new learning to offer you.
No prior programming experience needed.
Suggested prerequisites courses: