Securing Databases | Database Security (TT8700)
About Individual Course:
About this course:
Securing Databases is an intense database security training workshop/seminar essential for DBAs and developers who need to produce secure database applications and manage secure databases. In addition to teaching basic skills, this course digs deep into sound processes and practices that apply to the entire software development lifecycle. Perhaps just as significantly, students learn about current, real examples that illustrate the potential consequences of not following these best practices.
Data, databases, and related resources are at the heart of most IT infrastructures. These assets can have high value from a business, regulatory, and liability perspective. They must to protected accordingly. In this course, demonstrations repeatedly attack and then defend various assets associated with a fully-functional database. This approach illustrates the mechanics of how to secure databases in the most practical of terms.
Security experts agree that the least effective approach to security is "penetrate and patch". It is far more effective to "bake" security into an application throughout its lifecycle. After spending significant time trying to defend a poorly designed (from a security perspective) database application, students are ready to learn how to build secure their databases and applications starting at project inception. The final portion of this course builds on the previously learned mechanics for building defenses by exploring how design and analysis can be used to build stronger applications from the beginning of the software lifecycle.
A key component to our Best Defense IT Security Training Series, this workshop is a companion course with several developer-oriented courses and seminars.
The average salary of a Data Security Analyst is $64,652 per year.
Working in a dynamic learning environment, attendees will learn to:
- Understand the consequences for not properly handling untrusted data such as denial of service, cross-site scripting, and injections
- Test databases with various attack techniques to determine the existence of and effectiveness of layered defenses
- Prevent and defend the many potential vulnerabilities associated with untrusted data
- Understand the concepts and terminology behind supporting, designing, and deploying secure databases
- Appreciate the magnitude of the problems associated with data security and the potential risks associated with those problems
- Understand the currently accepted best practices for supporting the many security needs of databases.
- Understand the vulnerabilities associated with authentication and authorization within the context of databases and database applications
- Detect, attack, and implement defenses for authentication and authorization functionality
- Understand the dangers and mechanisms behind Cross-Site Scripting (XSS) and Injection attacks
- Detect, attack, and implement defenses against XSS and Injection attacks
- Understand the concepts and terminology behind defensive, secure, coding
- Understand the use of Threat Modeling as a tool in identifying software vulnerabilities based on realistic threats against meaningful assets
- Perform both static reviews and dynamic database testing to uncover vulnerabilities
- Design and develop strong, robust authentication and authorization implementations
- Understand the fundamentals of Digital Signatures as well as how it can be used as part of the defensive infrastructure for data
- Understand the fundamentals of Encryption as well as how it can be used as part of the defensive infrastructure for data
This is an intermediate -level database course, designed for those who wish to get up and running on developing well defended database applications. This course may be customized to suit your team’s unique objectives.
Familiarity with databases is required and real world experience is highly recommended. Ideally, students should have approximately 6 months to a year of database working knowledge.
|Subjects||Information Security, IT Ops & Management|
|Learning Style||Virtual Classroom|
|Course Duration||2 Days|