Articles, Blogs, Whitepapers, Webinars, and Other Resources
Sample Resume for a System Administrator
The first impression counts and your resume decides how your first impression is going to be like on your potential employer. A good resume is a medium to advertise yourself, your skills and knowledge, and thus capture a potential employer’s attention to land a job that you want. The importance of a well-written professional resume cannot be stressed upon enough and that is why, in this blog post, we are going to discuss a system administrator resume format.
A system administrator is someone responsible to support a multiuser computing environment, whether it’s an office, a campus or an enterprise data center, and ensures security and access authorization for a seamless flow of IT services and associated systems. Generally, depending upon the IT system specialty, system administrators may also be designated as a data center administrator, a virtualization administrator, network operations center admin, a server administrator or a database administrator.
A system administrator’s job responsibilities are generally large, and hence a person with a broad skill set is a preferred choice among employers. Apart from technical and troubleshooting skills (which are a must-have!), non-technical (soft skills) skills are equally important for system administrators. IT system administrator certifications also hold great importance in sysadmin jobs. Employers always prefer professionals with multiple certifications, such as Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (MCSA), CompTIA Server+, Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA), and Red Hat Certified System Administrator (RHCSA), over professionals who are self-taught or have no certifications attached to their resume.
Here is a sample resume for an experienced system administrator. With this sample CV template, you will learn how you can emphasize your strongest IT proficiencies and make the right impact on the hiring managers.
Let’s Take a Look at the System Administrator Resume Sample:
[Candidate’s Full Name]
[Street, City, State, Zip]
[Contact Number] | [E-mail Address] | LinkedIn URL
A multi-talented, solution-oriented, and highly analytical IT professional with a wide range of skills in systems installation, configuration, upgrading, and maintenance. Skillful administration and troubleshooting expertise for a range of Microsoft OS and Windows Server products. Proficiency in grasping new functional concepts quickly and utilizing them in a productive manner.
Workstations/ Servers: Microsoft Office 98/ 2000/ 2003/ XP, Microsoft ISA server 2000/ 2004, Microsoft Sharepoint Portal Server, Microsoft Exchange Server 5.5-2000, Microsoft SQL Server; Critix Metaframe XP; Windows NT Workstation, Windows 98/ 2000/ XP/ NT, Windows Server 2000/ 2003; Novell Netware Server; NetWare 5.x/ 6.x; OEM system builder for workstations and server products.
Hardware: Lenovo, HP, Dell desktops and laptops; Surface Pro's 2 &3, Lexmark, HP, Canon printers; webcams, scanners, CISCO switches & routers; NAS cloud storage; Buffalo & Synology
Software Applications: Microsoft Office Suite 2000-2016 (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint); Microsoft Active Directory; PowerShell; VM Ware Player; Virtual box; WebEx; Cisco IP Communicator; Air Watch; Jabber; Symantec and McAfee corporate antivirus suite; LAN Desk Management 5.5; Symantec Ghost; Veritas Backup Exec. 9.0 & CA Arcserve 11.5
Protocols: HTTP, IMAP/POP3, DNS, SMTP, NAT, LDAP, DHCP
[Company Name] — [City, State, 2014 to present]
Senior Systems Administrator
- Managing over 500+ VMware servers 2003, 2008, R2 and 2012 with VSphere client 5.1. Supervised 35 VM servers for daily backups. Managing VPN user and Active Directory by resetting passwords, unlocking accounts, adding users, and GP.
- Configuring AD and disk quota on Windows 2012 Server
- Managed Microsoft Patch Tuesday's testing, deployment, and reporting, resulting in a 97% success rate.
- Implemented a disaster recovery plan into the contract without increasing costs.
- Administration and support for Symantec Corporate Anti-virus server, Cisco CallManager 3.1 (VoIP), Veritas Netbackup, and MS WUS server.
- Enhanced team productivity and automated repetitive tasks by using batch files, PowerShell, VBScript and WMI.
- Troubleshoot LAN/WIFI connectivity, configured permissions folder rights.
- Performed software installations and upgrades to operating systems and layered software packages.
- Resolved any circuit, data issues, security and access control issues to ensure 24/7 system access. Managed domain users and groups in AD and create group policies in order to keep the network secured.
- End user technical support for Windows 7, 8 and 10.
[Company Name] — [City, State, 2011-2014]
Systems Administrator (2013-2014)
Systems/Network Consultant (2011-2013)
- Evaluates industry trends, standards and new technologies to recommend change (i.e., evaluate and integrate new OS versions, drivers and hardware.
- Made sure that all software and procedures, operating systems, server hardware aligned with enterprise standards and strategic business plan.
- Designing, Implementing, installing and configuring Microsoft Windows 2003 / 2008 Server.
- Antivirus updating and maintaining reports on a regular basis.
- Troubleshoot and provide technical analysis concerning operating system, network, and application performance issues to resolution.
- Produce routine daily logs, exception reports and reports on major service incidents.
- MCSE: Server Infrastructure
- Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator (MCSA)
- MCSA: Windows Server 2012
- CCNA, Cisco Certification
- Red Hat Certified Engineer (RHCE)
[College/University Name]— [City, State]
Bachelor of Technology in Computer Science
- Diligent, confident, capable of meeting deadlines and ability to handle customers at ease.
- Self-motivated; takes Initiative and no additional directions are required once work is explained and assigned.
- Good problem solving and analytical skills
This sample resume format of a systems administrator will help the professionals list popular skills and knowledge, and showcase the typical job tasks in an attractive manner. This template CV should be customized by professionals according to their actual job roles, in the context of the technologies the company is using.
You can enhance your ‘technical capabilities’ by further acquiring technology training and courses from well-known vendors. For a system administrator, it is important to stay abreast with the new technology trends in the business world. Microsoft Windows Server 2016 is one such technology – the newest member of the Windows Server suite. System administrators with Windows Server 2016 skills and knowledge are in great demand as the companies need to make a shift to this new operating system in the market. QuickStart offers a range of courses on various aspects of Windows Server 2016, so be sure to check out the courses we have on offer.Start Your Free Trial Start Your Free Trial