NETAPP-IMPVMVS Implementing VMware vSphere on Data ONTAP (NETAPP-IMPVMVS)
Virtual ClassroomLearning Style
3 DaysCourse Duration
About this course:
Learn how to implement VMware vSphere virtualization solutions on NetApp® Data ONTAP® 7-Mode and clustered Data ONTAP. In this course, you learn how to deploy VMware virtual infrastructure on NetApp storage. The exercises use clustered Data ONTAP.
- Describe the VMware vSphere 6.0 virtualization solution
- Articulate the NetApp value proposition for integrating clustered Data ONTAP with vSphere 6.0
- Configure physical and virtual infrastructures
- Use the clustered Data ONTAP operating system to provision virtual infrastructure
- Create, migrate, and clone virtual machines
- Describe the Virtual Volumes datastore-management process
- Protect virtual infrastructure
- Monitor and optimize virtual infrastructure
- Describe best practice for connectivity, provisioning, data layout, and multipathing
- Describe how deduplication, compression, and thin provisioning provide storage savings in a virtual environment
- NetApp employees, channel partners, and customers
Knowledge of VMware and vSphere
Suggested prerequisite course:
- ONTAP 9.3 Cluster Administration
- ONTAP 9.3 Data Protection Administration
- Data ONTAP SAN Implementation
- VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage
Virtual Instructed-Led Outline
Module 1: Overview of VMware vSphere
This module describes the VMware vSphere environment, terminology, and concepts.
- Describe the VMware vSphere virtualization framework and architecture
- Identify vSphere datastores features in a clustered Data ONTAP environment
- Explain why the clustered Data ONTAP operating system is the ideal storage platform for VMware
- Identify the components of a VMware vSphere and clustered Data ONTAP virtualization environment
Module 2: Introduction to Virtual Storage Console Plugin
This module covers the main concepts, terminology and operation of vCenter and the VSC plugin.
- List the installation requirements and options for vCenter
- Describe the key features of the Virtual Storage Console (VSC)
- Explain how the VSC plugin integrates with vCenter
- Describe the VSC plugin installation process
Module 3: NAS (NFS) Considerations
This module covers configuration of NFS protocols in clustered Data ONTAP and vSphere.
- Configure and verify NFS connectivity in the clustered Data ONTAP operating system
- Configure and verify NFS connectivity in vSphere
- Describe the NFS datastore categories and their applications
Module 4: SAN Considerations
This module covers configuration of SAN protocols in clustered Data ONTAP and vSphere.
- Configure and verify SAN connectivity in the clustered Data ONTAP operating system
- Configure and verify SAN connectivity in vSphere
- Describe the SAN datastore categories and their applications
- Configure LUN access in the Data ONTAP operating system
Module 5: Configuring vCenter and VSC
This module covers the standard configuration settings of vCenter and the VSC plugin.
- Describe the steps for configuring a datastore
- Explain how to migrate virtual machines (VMs)
- Clone VMs by using the NetApp Virtual Storage Console (VSC)
- Describe the reasons why virtualized disks are misaligned and the methods for correcting this problem
Module 6: Configuring vSphere Virtual Volume (VVOL) Datastores
This module covers the creation and management of vSphere Virtual Volume (VVOL) datastores.
- Describe the NetApp vSphere API for Storage Awareness (VASA) installation procedure
- Identify the VVOL concepts
- Describe the VVOL datastore management process
- Describe the steps for configuring a VVOL datastore
Module 7: Advanced Storage Technologies
This module covers the advanced storage technologies in both clustered Data ONTAP and vSphere.
- Describe clustered Data ONTAP storage efficiencies in a virtualized environment
- Discuss how the clustered Data ONTAP Storage Quality of Service (QoS) feature works in a virtualized
- Optimize datastore clusters with VMware Storage Distributed Resource Scheduler (Storage DRS)
- Identify the storage I/O control features in VMware
Module 8: vSphere Data Protection
This module covers the procedures to backup and restore virtual machines using vSphere.
- Describe the issues that you might encounter with data protection in a virtualized environment
- List methods to backup and restore virtual machines and datastores with NetApp storage
- Identify the features of NetApp backup and restoration in virtualized environments
Module 9: Virtualization Management in Cloud Environments
This module covers the advanced VMware and NetApp management tools necessary to manage a VMware virtualized
deployment in a cloud environment.
- Describe the features and benefits of the NetApp vRealize Integration Package for OnCommand WFA 3.0
- Describe the features and functions of OnCommand Shift and NetApp AltaVault Cloud Integrated Storage
|Learning Style||Virtual Classroom|
|Course Duration||3 Days|
|VPA Eligible||VPA Eligible|
Have Questions? Ask Us.
Turn Training Into A Personalized Learning Experience
- Problem Solving through ExpertConnect & Peer-To-Peer Learning
- Find The Quickest Path To Learn With Career Paths
- Access All Courses With Master Subscription
- Manage Your Team With Learning Analytics
- Virtual Classroom Training & Self-Paced Learning
- Integrate With Your LMS Through API's