NETAPP-IMPVMVS Implementing VMware vSphere on Data ONTAP (NETAPP-IMPVMVS)
Multi-Location ClassroomLearning Style
3 DaysCourse Duration
About this course:
Learn how to implement VMware vSphere virtualization solutions on NetApp® Data ONTAP® 7-Mode and clustered Data ONTAP. In this course, you learn how to deploy VMware virtual infrastructure on NetApp storage. The exercises use clustered Data ONTAP.
The average salary for a NetApp storage administrator is $122,000 per year.
- Describe the VMware vSphere 6.0 virtualization solution
- Articulate the NetApp value proposition for integrating clustered Data ONTAP with vSphere 6.0
- Configure physical and virtual infrastructures
- Use the clustered Data ONTAP operating system to provision virtual infrastructure
- Create, migrate, and clone virtual machines
- Describe the Virtual Volumes datastore-management process
- Protect virtual infrastructure
- Monitor and optimize virtual infrastructure
- Describe best practice for connectivity, provisioning, data layout, and multipathing
- Describe how deduplication, compression, and thin provisioning provide storage savings in a virtual environment
- NetApp employees, channel partners, and customers
- Knowledge of VMware and vSphere
Virtual Instructed-Led Outline
Module 1: Overview of VMware vSphere
This module describes the VMware vSphere environment, terminology, and concepts.
- Describe the VMware vSphere virtualization framework and architecture
- Identify vSphere datastores features in a clustered Data ONTAP environment
- Explain why the clustered Data ONTAP operating system is the ideal storage platform for VMware
- Identify the components of a VMware vSphere and clustered Data ONTAP virtualization environment
Module 2: Introduction to Virtual Storage Console Plugin
This module covers the main concepts, terminology and operation of vCenter and the VSC plugin.
- List the installation requirements and options for vCenter
- Describe the key features of the Virtual Storage Console (VSC)
- Explain how the VSC plugin integrates with vCenter
- Describe the VSC plugin installation process
Module 3: NAS (NFS) Considerations
This module covers configuration of NFS protocols in clustered Data ONTAP and vSphere.
- Configure and verify NFS connectivity in the clustered Data ONTAP operating system
- Configure and verify NFS connectivity in vSphere
- Describe the NFS datastore categories and their applications
Module 4: SAN Considerations
This module covers configuration of SAN protocols in clustered Data ONTAP and vSphere.
- Configure and verify SAN connectivity in the clustered Data ONTAP operating system
- Configure and verify SAN connectivity in vSphere
- Describe the SAN datastore categories and their applications
- Configure LUN access in the Data ONTAP operating system
Module 5: Configuring vCenter and VSC
This module covers the standard configuration settings of vCenter and the VSC plugin.
- Describe the steps for configuring a datastore
- Explain how to migrate virtual machines (VMs)
- Clone VMs by using the NetApp Virtual Storage Console (VSC)
- Describe the reasons why virtualized disks are misaligned and the methods for correcting this problem
Module 6: Configuring vSphere Virtual Volume (VVOL) Datastores
This module covers the creation and management of vSphere Virtual Volume (VVOL) datastores.
- Describe the NetApp vSphere API for Storage Awareness (VASA) installation procedure
- Identify the VVOL concepts
- Describe the VVOL datastore management process
- Describe the steps for configuring a VVOL datastore
Module 7: Advanced Storage Technologies
This module covers the advanced storage technologies in both clustered Data ONTAP and vSphere.
- Describe clustered Data ONTAP storage efficiencies in a virtualized environment
- Discuss how the clustered Data ONTAP Storage Quality of Service (QoS) feature works in a virtualized
- Optimize datastore clusters with VMware Storage Distributed Resource Scheduler (Storage DRS)
- Identify the storage I/O control features in VMware
Module 8: vSphere Data Protection
This module covers the procedures to backup and restore virtual machines using vSphere.
- Describe the issues that you might encounter with data protection in a virtualized environment
- List methods to backup and restore virtual machines and datastores with NetApp storage
- Identify the features of NetApp backup and restoration in virtualized environments
Module 9: Virtualization Management in Cloud Environments
This module covers the advanced VMware and NetApp management tools necessary to manage a VMware virtualized
deployment in a cloud environment.
- Describe the features and benefits of the NetApp vRealize Integration Package for OnCommand WFA 3.0
- Describe the features and functions of OnCommand Shift and NetApp AltaVault Cloud Integrated Storage
|Learning Style||Multi-Location Classroom|
|Course Duration||3 Days|
|VPA Eligible||VPA Eligible|
Frequently Asked Questions About Virtual Instructor-Led Courses
I can't connect to my class, what are my options?
The link to the class is available upon logging in to your dashboard. If you are unable to see it, please contact our support team at 1-855-800-8240 and they will be happy to provide you the direct link via email or the dial in number.
I can't make it to attend to class. Can I reschedule?
Yes, you can reschedule your class. Please contact your Sales representative and they will arrange this for you. If you forgot his/her name, feel free to contact our support team at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-855-800-8240.
Will I get my certificate upon completion?
Yes. Upon completion of the course, it will be available on your course as a Trophy Icon for you to download. If you do not see this, you will need to contact email@example.com with the following details so they can email you the certificate: Class Name, Class Date, Account Rep, and Your Email.
I cannot connect to my lab. Help!
Your Lab is accessible on the bottom part of your course. You will see a button that says "LAB". Just click it to launch the lab. Please note that some classes don’t need/require a LAB. You can verify with our support team by calling them at 1-855-800-8240 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also check with your Instructor or the Associate Instructor if your class includes one.
What is my access code for Skillpipe?
A. Not all of the classes have or require Skillpipe. If your class includes one, please check your email as you should have received one from email@example.com. In case you do not find it in your inbox, please check the Spam / Junk folder. For any further assistance, you can call the support at 1-855-800-8240 or contact them via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I don't have audio. I can't hear the instructor.
Make sure you are using a compatible headset for your laptop or computer. If you don’t have a headset, you can use the built-in speaker of your laptop. Otherwise, you can use the dial in option by calling the dial in number provided in the class joining email. You may also contact support team for the dial in numbers associated for your training at 1-855-800-8240 or contact them via email at email@example.com.
How can I reach student support?
Support can be reach via phone at 1855-800-8240; via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or via chat support through the chat button on our website. Please note that support office hours will be from 8am-5pm CST Monday to Friday. Any concerns after office hours will be attended the following business day.
Have Questions? Ask Us.
Turn Training Into A Personalized Learning Experience
- Problem Solving through ExpertConnect & Peer-To-Peer Learning
- Find The Quickest Path To Learn With Career Paths
- Access All Courses With Master Subscription
- Manage Your Team With Learning Analytics
- Virtual Classroom Training & Self-Paced Learning
- Integrate With Your LMS Through API's