NETAPP-MSSQL Implementing Microsoft SQL Server on NetApp Storage Systems (NETAPP-MSSQL)
Multi-Location ClassroomLearning Style
3 DaysCourse Duration
About this course:
Learn to implement Microsoft® SQL Server 2012 on clustered Data ONTAP storage. This solution-based course focuses on Windows Server Failover Clustering, Microsoft SQL Server AlwaysOn Availability Groups, SnapDrive for Windows, and SnapManager for SQL Server. In this course, you will learn how to size and prepare clustered Data ONTAP storage virtual machines (also known as Vservers), install and configure SnapDrive for Windows, install and initialize SnapManager for SQL Server, move SQL databases to NetApp storage, backup and restore SQL databases, create Availability Groups, and troubleshoot common misconfigurations. By the end of this course, you will be able to confidently implement SQL Server 2012 on clustered Data ONTAP storage.
The average salary for a NetApp storage administrator is $122,000 per year.
By the end of this course, you should be able to:
- Describe the features of Windows Server 2012, Microsoft SQL Server 2012, and the clustered Data ONTAP operating system
- Create and manage clustered Data ONTAP storage virtual machines (SVMs), create and manage logical interfaces (LIFs), data LIFs, and FlexVol volumes
- Enable, configure, and manage a Windows Server 2012 failover cluster
- Install and configure SnapDrive for Windows 2012, establish iSCSI sessions, and create LUNs
- Install and configure SnapManager for SQL Server, migrate, back up, restore, and clone SQL Server databases
- Implement the SQL Server AlwaysOn Availability Groups feature on clustered Data ONTAP
- This training is for those who design and deploy NetApp storage systems in a Microsoft SQL Server environment.
- Familiar with NetApp storage systems
- Knowledge of SQL Server backup and restore concepts
Virtual Instructed-Led Outline
Module 1: Features of Microsoft SQL Server 2012 on Clustered Data ONTAP
- Describe features of Windows Server 2012
- Describe features of SQL Server 2012
- Describe the features and purposes of implementing SQL Server 2012 on clustered Data ONTAP storage
- Describe the "things-to-do" list and management tools to use for implementing SQL Server on the clustered
- Data ONTAP operating system
Module 2: Sizing and Preparing Clustered Data ONTAP Storage
- Size storage requirements based on the fundamentals of SQL Server database infrastructure
- List the sizing and layout guidelines for SQL Server databases, transaction logs, and SnapInfo directories
- Create NetApp storage virtual machines (SVMs) for primary and secondary storage
- Create volumes for the SQL Server databases, transaction logs, and SnapInfo directories
Module 3: Implementing Windows Server Failover Clustering
- Create a failover cluster
- Manage failover cluster resources
Module 4: Implementing SnapDrive for Windows and SnapManager for SQL Server
- Describe NetApp SnapDrive software as a component of the SnapManager for SQL Server (SMSQL) solution
- Install SnapDrive for Windows
- Install SnapManager for SQL Server
- Configure Transport Protocol Settings
- Configure iSCSI sessions
- Use SnapDrive on a Windows host to create and connect to LUNs on the storage system
Module 5: Implementing Availability Groups with SnapManager for SQL Server
- Enable the AlwaysOn Availability Groups feature
- Use SnapManager for SQL Server (SMSQL) to move databases
- Use SMSQL to back up databases
- Use the New Availability Groups Wizard to create availability groups and join secondary replica SQL Server
Module 6: Cloning SQL Server Databases with SnapManager for SQL Server
- Describe database cloning
- Clone backup sets
- Clone a production database
- Clone a database on a SnapMirror destination volume
- Delete a cloned database
Lab 1-1 Explore Windows Server 2012 and OnCommand System Manager
Lab 1-2 Exploring Windows Server Failover Clustering services
Lab 1-3 Explore SQL Server 2012, AdventureWorks, and the AlwaysOn Availability Groups feature
Lab 1-4 Explore PowerShell and PowerShell scripts
Lab 2-1 Determine the space requirements of the SQL1 System and user databases
Lab 2-2 Calculate space requirements and volume layout
Lab 2-3 Create a data Vserver for cluster1
Lab 2-4 Repeat task 3 to create a data Vserver for cluster2
Lab 2-5 Create FlexVol volumes for primary and secondary database storage
Lab 2-6 Create FlexVol volumes for secondary storage
Lab 2-7 Create a CIFS share
Lab 3-1 Use Server Manager to install Windows Server Failover Clustering
Lab 3-2 Use a PowerShell script to install Windows Server Failover Clustering
Lab 3-3 Use Failover Cluster Manager to create a Failover Cluster
Lab 3-4 Use Failover Cluster Manager to add nodes to a Failover Cluster
Lab 4-1 Create a SnapDrive service account
Lab 4-2 (optional)Verify that Windows Server 2012 System prerequisites were met
Lab 4-3 Install SnapDrive for Windows on the SQL Server host
Lab 4-4 Install SMSQL
Lab 4-5 Set up connectivity between SnapDrive and storage virtual machines
Lab 4-6 Establish iSCSI sessions with iSCSI Software Initiator
Lab 4-7 Establish iSCSI sessions with the SnapDrive iSCSI management tool
Lab 4-8 Use SnapDrive for Windows to create disks on SQL1
Lab 4-9 Use SnapDrive for Windows to create disks on SQL2
Lab 4-10 Use SnapDrive for Windows to create disks on SQL3
Lab 5-1 Enable the AlwaysOne Availability Groups feature
Lab 5-2 Move SQL Server database files to NetApp storage
Lab 5-3 Back up the AdventureWorks database with SMSQL (including troubleshooting)
Lab 5-4 Restore the database (including troubleshooting)
Lab 5-5 Create an AlwaysOn availability group
Lab 6-1 Clone a database from a backup set
Lab 6-2 Clone active production databases
|Learning Style||Multi-Location Classroom|
|Course Duration||3 Days|
|VPA Eligible||VPA Eligible|
Frequently Asked Questions About Virtual Instructor-Led Courses
I can't connect to my class, what are my options?
The link to the class is available upon logging in to your dashboard. If you are unable to see it, please contact our support team at 1-855-800-8240 and they will be happy to provide you the direct link via email or the dial in number.
I can't make it to attend to class. Can I reschedule?
Yes, you can reschedule your class. Please contact your Sales representative and they will arrange this for you. If you forgot his/her name, feel free to contact our support team at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-855-800-8240.
Will I get my certificate upon completion?
Yes. Upon completion of the course, it will be available on your course as a Trophy Icon for you to download. If you do not see this, you will need to contact email@example.com with the following details so they can email you the certificate: Class Name, Class Date, Account Rep, and Your Email.
I cannot connect to my lab. Help!
Your Lab is accessible on the bottom part of your course. You will see a button that says "LAB". Just click it to launch the lab. Please note that some classes don’t need/require a LAB. You can verify with our support team by calling them at 1-855-800-8240 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also check with your Instructor or the Associate Instructor if your class includes one.
What is my access code for Skillpipe?
A. Not all of the classes have or require Skillpipe. If your class includes one, please check your email as you should have received one from email@example.com. In case you do not find it in your inbox, please check the Spam / Junk folder. For any further assistance, you can call the support at 1-855-800-8240 or contact them via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I don't have audio. I can't hear the instructor.
Make sure you are using a compatible headset for your laptop or computer. If you don’t have a headset, you can use the built-in speaker of your laptop. Otherwise, you can use the dial in option by calling the dial in number provided in the class joining email. You may also contact support team for the dial in numbers associated for your training at 1-855-800-8240 or contact them via email at email@example.com.
How can I reach student support?
Support can be reach via phone at 1855-800-8240; via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or via chat support through the chat button on our website. Please note that support office hours will be from 8am-5pm CST Monday to Friday. Any concerns after office hours will be attended the following business day.
Have Questions? Ask Us.
Turn Training Into A Personalized Learning Experience
- Problem Solving through ExpertConnect & Peer-To-Peer Learning
- Find The Quickest Path To Learn With Career Paths
- Access All Courses With Master Subscription
- Manage Your Team With Learning Analytics
- Virtual Classroom Training & Self-Paced Learning
- Integrate With Your LMS Through API's