Project Management: Skills for Success (LT-PMS)
About Individual Course:
Using the help of a real-life simulation case study, this project management training course aims to provide the learner with the essential knowledge and skills integral to influence central project management concepts, enact constructive project management processes, and advance the requisite leadership skills for the successful planning, managing, and delivering of project regardless of their scope or size.
Upon the completion of this course, students will be able to:
Enact the best practices required to design a project by use of a proven five-step process
Enact risk management techniques and avoidance strategies
Approximate and schedule task work and the duration and costs involved in a task
Lead a project team and observe the progress of a project
The intended audience for this course are project managers.
Virtual Instructed-Led Outline
- Building a project navigation system
- Defining the project management process
- Identifying key documents, deliverables and approvals
- Negotiating realistic constraints for project success
- Applying project management standards
Launching Your Project
Building an appropriate governance structure
- Ensuring project sponsorship and business ownership
- Gaining the support of subject matter experts
- Clarifying the role of other managers and third parties
Defining the project
- Validating business drivers and goals
- Determining project objectives and deliverables
- Tracking and managing project issues
Authorizing the project
- Writing the project business case
- Developing the project charter
- Securing project approval
The Five-Step Planning Process
Identifying and estimating the work
- Working with project stakeholders
- Defining scope with Work Breakdown Structures (WBS)
- Driving the plan down to manageable tasks
- Building high-confidence estimates
- Leveraging three-point estimating to refine accuracy
Scheduling and budgeting the work
- Converting the WBS to precedence networks
- Determining the critical path tasks
- Calculating project duration
- Building and analyzing Gantt charts
- Using float effectively in the schedule
Building and leading the project team
- Identifying and securing project resources
- Optimizing the use of project resources
- Preparing and agreeing on task contracts
- Developing and motivating the project team
- Managing virtual and matrix teams
Managing project risks
- Identifying project risks and assumptions
- Creating a Risk Breakdown Structure (RBS)
- Assessing risk probabilities and impacts
- Planning appropriate responses and actions
- Using a Risk Register and Risk Distribution Graph
Baselining the project plan
- Developing the project change control plan
- Validating essential supporting processes
- Conducting the project health check
- Creating the project baseline
- Securing authorization to run the project
Running the Project
Employing the four-step project control cycle
- Avoiding the common causes of project failure
- Building a real-time feedback loop
- Managing stakeholder expectations
Tracking and monitoring task performance
- Clarifying key metrics and data collection methods
- Utilizing the two kinds of monitoring
- Avoiding the 90%-complete trap
Analyzing progress against the baseline
- Tracking planned vs. actual task performance
- Projecting the impact of variation to the baseline
- Performing root cause analysis
Correcting the project plan
- Implementing, correcting and optimizing strategies
- Fast-tracking the project schedule
- Crashing the critical path tasks
Reporting project status
- Communicating status to stakeholders
- Creating milestone reports
- Using project scorecards and dashboards
Successful Project Closure
- Conducting a post-project review
- Brainstorming lessons learned
- Closing out the project
- Celebrating your project success
|Learning Style||Virtual Classroom|
|Course Duration||4 Days|
Frequently Asked Questions About Virtual Instructor-Led Courses
I can't connect to my class, what are my options?
The link to the class is available upon logging in to your dashboard. If you are unable to see it, please contact our support team at 1-855-800-8240 and they will be happy to provide you the direct link via email or the dial in number.
I can't make it to attend to class. Can I reschedule?
Yes, you can reschedule your class. Please contact your Sales representative and they will arrange this for you. If you forgot his/her name, feel free to contact our support team at email@example.com or 1-855-800-8240.
Will I get my certificate upon completion?
Yes. Upon completion of the course, it will be available on your course as a Trophy Icon for you to download. If you do not see this, you will need to contact firstname.lastname@example.org with the following details so they can email you the certificate: Class Name, Class Date, Account Rep, and Your Email.
I cannot connect to my lab. Help!
Your Lab is accessible on the bottom part of your course. You will see a button that says "LAB". Just click it to launch the lab. Please note that some classes don’t need/require a LAB. You can verify with our support team by calling them at 1-855-800-8240 or by email at email@example.com. You can also check with your Instructor or the Associate Instructor if your class includes one.
What is my access code for Skillpipe?
A. Not all of the classes have or require Skillpipe. If your class includes one, please check your email as you should have received one from firstname.lastname@example.org. In case you do not find it in your inbox, please check the Spam / Junk folder. For any further assistance, you can call the support at 1-855-800-8240 or contact them via email at email@example.com.
I don't have audio. I can't hear the instructor.
Make sure you are using a compatible headset for your laptop or computer. If you don’t have a headset, you can use the built-in speaker of your laptop. Otherwise, you can use the dial in option by calling the dial in number provided in the class joining email. You may also contact support team for the dial in numbers associated for your training at 1-855-800-8240 or contact them via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How can I reach student support?
Support can be reach via phone at 1855-800-8240; via email at email@example.com or via chat support through the chat button on our website. Please note that support office hours will be from 8am-5pm CST Monday to Friday. Any concerns after office hours will be attended the following business day.
Get A Team Quote or Got Questions?
- Personalize learning based on competencies, goals & tools
- Expert Mentoring
- Hands on Labs & Assignments
- AI Curated Digital Book Content
- Adaptive Learning Paths
- Analytics & Benchmarking
- High certification Pass Rates – Over 200,000 people certified and more than 95% of our learners pass their certification on the first attempt