- James Maningo
- January 09, 2020
Fundamentals of Data Networks & Networking
Data networks are all around us, and networking technology has touched every aspect of modern life directly and indirectly. As soon as you wake up, you reach to your phone to connect with your community. Recent stats revealed by internet world, have shown a tremendous rise of 1,157 % in the number of internet users. Further figures have concluded the penetration rate to be 58.8% globally. At home, networks often incorporate Wi-Fi to connect to other devices. In offices, systems are connected to Local area networks for doing business.
Moreover, data networks provide a connection for mobile telecommunications and landlines. Almost every area of our life is utilizing data networks and networking for benefiting from the latest networking technologies.
What is a Data Network?
A network is referred to as a structure with interconnected computers. According to Wikipedia, Data are facts and figures that explain the quantity and quality of any object. Data network is an infrastructure that facilitates the transfer of information by transmitting data. These data networks have a specialized architecture to meet specific objectives. The particular architectural design facilitates the transfer of content.
Although data networks differ in architectural design, some characteristics are the base of these networks and shared throughout the data networking industry. As technology is progressing at a fast pace, with improving hardware, new techniques have been developed to monitor the networks and make then effective and secure.
Advantages of using networks
Although data networks are all around us, we often take the benefits for granted. Some of the advantages are:
- Sharing of resources: The most crucial benefit of using networks is the sharing of resources. Nobody could imagine a world without networks where printers, storage devices and access to the internet would have to be attached and disconnected multiple times each time.
- Communication: Communication becomes convenient and useful when linked to a data network. There are various channels of communication that could be used, including emails, transfer of files, etc. Emails could be sent internally as well as externally. Imagine the time when you had to use unreliable storage devices like floppy disks for transferring information.
- Collaborative working: By using collaborative softwares deployed on a network, it is convenient to work on a single document.
- Access to centrally stored software: Occasionally, it is required to use a single copy of licensed software to cut costs. The software is stored in a central location and accessed through a network.
- Access to a central database: For standardization in a firm, it is necessary to store data at a central location and access the updated records. Different departments access the same data in different views by relevant people.
Modern technology has increased the demands for an optimized network. With more and more networks getting connected to the cloud, the static nature of networks could not handle the complications involved in it. Consequently, new technologies have emerged on the face of the networking landscape.
What is Software Defined Networking (SDN):
Software-Defined technology (SDN) is an approach that makes the network intelligent and centrally controlled by using software applications for programming. This technology helps the network to be independent of the underlying network technology. SDN is a telecommunication network architecture that improves the technology significantly.
It makes the network more manageable, dynamic and adaptable. Moreover, this architecture is cost-effective. Functions needed at a particular time following a specific pattern of usage require a specific configuration of resources, Software-defined networking is an answer to this demand. SDN ensures more flexibility, along with a higher level of efficiency. The elements of a data network are used flexibly by using this architecture.
The growth of the software-defined networking market is predicted to reach $ 61 Billion by the year 2023. Stats have concluded a CAGR of 39% between 2017 and 2023 (source). Industries like healthcare, manufacturing, government and telecommunication are pushing demands on software-defined networking. Consequently, giants like Cisco systems have implemented this architecture. As a result, exponential growth in the software-defined networking market has been witnessed and IT experts can have a promising career after earning CISCO SDN Training. The expected salary of a system engineer who is an expert of SDN is $107k.
What is ONTAP data management platform?
ONTAP data management software provides single storage to applications that write and read data on file access protocols. This platform offers storage from high-speed flash to low price spinning media and to cloud-based storage places. The software offers services like disk aggregation, storage virtualization, load balancing, replication, storage efficiency and security.
According to industry specialists, NetApp Software Engineer can earn up to $99,827 annually on average. NetApp’s annual income in the year 2019 was $6.15 bn (source), Which depicts promising careers for professionals having data management certifications. The certifications train professionals for managing and configuring a cluster and for restoring and backup of operations.
- Networks are all around us; it is a system of interconnected computers. Data networks provide connections for the exchange of data and information.
- With the exponential growth of cloud-based applications and services, more and more people are getting connected to networks.
- Data networks often provide a functional architecture for particular purposes. Advantages of data networks include sharing of resources, ease of collaborative working, communicating and centralization of databases.
- Today’s fast-paced technological advancements are persuading the IT industry for advanced data network architectures and data management platforms.
- Software-Defined technology (SDN) is an approach that increases the efficiency of networks by making it programmable. It is a highly adaptable approach that changes the structure of networks depending on the network traffic. Cisco SDN training can make you ready to excel in this area and increase your prospects of getting hired as a highly paid SDN expert.
- Apart from SDN training, certifications like Netapp clustered data ontap certification can make your workforce technology ready. It offers comprehensive training for managing data and providing security.