Windows 2016 Server Installation Complete Guide
In modern computer applications, it is important to learn how to select the most appropriate version of Windows Server 2016 first and then install that version with every guarantee of success. The key areas to learn include how to tune storage units, configure network adapters, understand system administration and work with the roles and features of Windows Server 2016, taking the first steps to establish a safe work environment in your company or organization.
Taking advantage of the recent exit of Windows Server 2016, this article shows the installation process step by step. There are really very few differences with that of Windows Server 2012 R2, but we have captured all the aspects, not only to show where there are differences but also serve as help for those who do not know. The installation process of Windows Server 2016 is not a complicated process, and anyone with fundamental computer knowledge can easily follow the detailed process, provided that they are carefully following each step till completion.
The installation shown has been done on a virtual machine running on VMware Workstation 12, and we have chosen type EFI/UEFI, although there are no differences if the system is the classic BIOS, except for the configuration of the virtual “hardware.” Remember that for the EFI / UEFI installation we must mount the DVD or ISO image, and turn off the machine, just then start it. It is not worth restarting
So, once created the virtual machine and mounted the ISO in this case, when starting it we will begin the installation process as shown in the following steps. There are no differences with previous systems, except those that will be named. The article will also cover:
- Selection of Windows edition to install – In this case, the options include Standard and Datacenter with or without a graphical interface. In this sense, keep in mind that if one of the options with Desktop Experience is not selected, it is installed on Server Core.
- Language to install: In general, the ideal would be to use the English language at the server level, while on the client-side, use the language according to the region.
- Type of installation: If it is updated from an earlier version of Windows maintaining files and settings (upgrade) or if it is installed “from 0” (custom).
Let us begin by starting the server or virtual machine and booting from the ISO/DVD to install Windows Server 2016. Remember that you can prepare the ISO image for installation using a USB memory key. Of course, make sure that the filesystem is GPT, but it will not boot.
1. Press a key when prompted to start the installation of Windows Server 2016 and not boot from the hard drive.
Welcome screen and configuration of regional options. Indicate the corresponding ones according to:
- Installation language: In what language, the windows, and applications of the operating system should be presented. It will depend on the language of the ISO image that we have of Windows Server 2016 to install.
- Time and currency format. Here as it suits you. In our case, we are having the English version of Windows Server 2016. So, use the English regional configuration.
- Keyboard language: As stated above, the preferred language would be English.
2. When it is configured to our liking, click on the Next button.
Do we install or repair the operating system? If the operating system does not boot, with this same ISO or DVD image, using the option Repair your computer from this screen, you will find the utilities to be able to revive it. Click on the install now button.
3. The installation wizard starts. Select which version of Windows Server 2016 you want to install. Note that now the default version, which says nothing else, is the CORE version. If you want to have the entire desktop, you have to select the Desktop Experience versions.
- Windows Server 2016 Standard
- Windows Server 2016 Standard (Desktop Experience)
- Windows Server 2016 Datacenter
- Windows Server 2016 Datacenter (Desktop Experience)
- Click on the Next button to continue
4. Accept the license terms by checking the checkbox and click on the Next button to continue.
5. Indicate if it is an update (not recommended) or an installation. Mark Custom, naturally.
6. Select the disk drive to install the new operating system. Make sure it has no partitions made. Click on the Next button to continue.
7. Wait, the system already works just for us. Oh, how different the facilities are now compared to Windows NT, 2000, or 2003. We have improved a lot.
8. Once you have just installed the binaries, the next option is to define a password for the Administrator. Enter a strong one and click on the Finish button.
9. This screen is already familiar. Press the Control + Alt + Delete keys to start the session.
10. Enter the username (Administrator) and the password of the account.
11. The session has started, and the first thing you ask is the type of network. Click on the “Yes” button to indicate that it is the company network and therefore, will not enter the public area where the firewall is more restrictive.
12. By default, the server administrator is open.
13. Do not forget to do the update, that it is an installation just done does not mean that it should not have updates. The servers and client operating systems are ALWAYS updated to avoid very serious problems today.
The installation process of Windows Server 2016 is relatively easy and regarded as a piece of information that every developer and computer expert should know. The Windows Server 2016 remains an in-demand feature even in 2019, and users prefer this particular version to enjoy a complete range of solutions.