The 5 Best Linux Certifications for 2019 and Beyond
Linux certifications are quite popular when it comes to the IT world. In fact, these certifications can determine how far your career goes, especially now as the majority of the world's business servers run on Linux Operating Systems.
Moreover, the professionals in the field understand the importance of Linux certifications too. They believe it is a platform that can help even a newbie grow in the field - both in terms of position and payout. Attaining beneficial certifications is a must, especially if you are after a better position in the Linux field.
Even though we are halfway through the year 2019, it isn't really late for Linux professionals to be aware of all the certifications that could help them take their career and opportunities to the next level. Here are the five best Linux certifications that you shouldn't miss out on.
This particular certification has been on top of the list for the past two decades. In fact, employers use it as a benchmark for employing experts in the field for maximum benefits. For anyone wanting to boost their career opportunities, attaining the Linux+ CompTIA certification is an utter need to enter and thrive in this area of IT.
This is one of the most important Linux certifications that test the managerial tasks and essential usage capabilities of an individual, which are common to all Linux distributors. But to get to the Linux+ CompTIA certification, you must also get through the two main tests and their individual domains, which are:
- CompTIA Linux Certification (LX0-103)
- UNIX and GNU Commands
- Linux Installation and Package Management
- System Architecture
- Devices, Filesystem Hierarchy Standard, Linux Filesystems
- CompTIA Linux Certification (LX0-104)
- Data Management, Scripting, and Shells
- Administrative Tasks
- User Interfaces and Desktops
- Networking Fundamentals
- Essential System Services
The content covered under these tests is similar to Linux Administrator Certification. Each test includes 60 MCQs, which are supposed to be completed in 90 minutes. The results depend on the weight-based questions, and the passing score is 500.
RHCE - Red Hat Certified Engineer
In the authority of the certification, there's another crucial certification that has made it to this top-five list. The Red Hat Certified Engineer (RHCE)certification has the power to make you stand out in the crowd of professionals for the best career opportunities there are in this field.
Also, out of all the certifications that fall under the Red Hat category, the senior-level certifications get maximum popularity. Therefore, it is a wise decision to attain a senior-level certification like this one to get a career boost with the top organizations. ith this certification under your belt, there are a variety of job roles you can opt for in the Linux world. Some common roles include:
- Senior UNIX Administrator
- Senior systems engineer
- Linux administrator
- IT analyst
However, before you go on and opt for this certification, make sure you complete the prerequisite by also attaining the Red Hat Certified System Administration (RHCSA) credential first.
You can earn a Linux certification through QuickStart. Start your journey to become a Linux expert with QuickStart's 7-day free trial today!
Oracle Linux OCA & OCP
This particular certification is gaining popularity as the demand for it increases in the market. The certification is about attaining abilities and skills associated with Oracle technologies and products. To obtain the certification, professionals must pass the combination of exams and performance-based assignments. The complexity depends on the level of Oracle Linux OCA & OCP certification you opt for. The six levels are:
- Oracle Certified Junior Associate (OJA)
- Oracle Certified Associate (OCA)
- Oracle Certified Professional (OCP)
- Oracle Certified Master (OCM)
- Oracle Certified Expert (OCE)
- Oracle Certified Specialist (OCS)
To find great career opportunities, a candidate must master each of these stages for best recognition.
GCUX: GIAC Certified UNIX Security Administrator
The role of a GIAC Certified UNIX System Administrator is to audit and secure UNIX and Linux systems. Professionals opt for this certification to be able to attain the abilities and skills required to carry out these tasks. The knowledge and skills shared with the professionals in this certification are done with the motive of training individuals for configuring, installing and monitoring both these systems.
To attain this Linux certification, the candidate must pass one proctored exam with 75 questions in the time limit of two hours. Also, the candidate must score at least 68% to pass this exam for the certification.
The certification ensures that the professional can understand and handle issues related to physical and password security in both Linux and UNIX systems. The certification also falls under the Cyber Defense category, which earns you CPE experience.
LPI (Linux Professional Institute) Certifications
LPI is a set of certifications that is of the utmost importance when it comes to the best Linux certifications. Introduced back in 1999, the certifications are imperative for professionals who wish to achieve a bigger, better position in this area of IT.
The three distinct levels under the LPI certifications program are:
- LPIC -1: Linux Administrator: This is a basic certification that does not have any prerequisites. The candidate must pass two exams, covering the basic Linux skills such as Linux installation and configurations, internet connections or LAN, performing maintenance tasks, and more. This is the first of the three levels that must be complete before you are ready for the next two.
- LPIC -2: Linux Engineer: This is the next certification that includes two exams. Level two includes knowledge and skills related to system and devices, system startup, kernel, system maintenance, network configuration, capacity planning, storage administration, network client management, email services, troubleshooting and system security, domain name servers, network client management and more.
- LPIC - 3: Linux Enterprise Professional Certification: This is a senior level certification associated with Linux, which needs both level one and level two certification to be covered as prerequisites. Also, the certification requires covering at least one exam in the 300 series. The exam IDs that the certification include are:
- 300: Mixed Environment
- 303: Security
- 304: Virtualization and High Availability
With the growth in the demand for Linux, there are many career opportunities for professionals in the IT field. Earning even one of these Linux certifications can help you stand out from the competition.
You can also connect with our experts for further guidance on what Linux certification would be suitable to you and your career. Start your training journey now!